Saturday, October 29, 2011

Video diary, days nine, ten, and eleven.



Hello everyone! I'm not dead! Hooray!

I feel terrible about not making videos for two whole days, but I was gross embarrassing-looking sick, with a fever and everything. And I didn't have my laptop.

But for whatever evil reason, the video has absolutely refused to upload no matter what I try. So I'll just type out everything I talked about.

Due to being quite sick and confined to my parents' house for two days, I was unable to work much but I did a lot of thinking. I've come up with a few ideas of how to make things better and somethings to rewrite. Nothing is actually changing, except the way it's written. I will be providing updates on this as I continue on with it.

Because I felt bad about not making videos, I also talked about something else that was on my mind, which was how people will often say that they enjoy writing but aren't very good at it, definitely not good enough to ever amount to anything or let other people read it. I think that's ridiculous!

If you want to be a writer, but don't think you are very good, don't give up on yourself. No one is going to be stellar at first. My first "stories" were fanfiction written in the margins of my diary, and boons almighty it was awful. Thankfully, I have made quite miraculous strides since then, but none of that would have happened were it not for practice. I'm talking notebooks filled in, entire packages of pens used up and hours upon hours of sleep lost to never ending ideas.

When I was talking about "branching out", I was saying that you need to broaden your horizons, and go places you haven't ever been before because it will more than likely inspire you. I have gotten more ideas from running around a garden and screaming numbers in French than I have just hanging around. Nothing's gonna happen if you don't let it.

Of course, you have to be a reader if you want to be a good writer. Classes can teach you how to do it properly but books are like a full body workout for your imagination, and that muscle needs frequent stretching. Read all sorts of genres, from all authors and age groups. And learn to recognize bad writing. I mentioned teen romance novels, such as most of what's written by Sara Dessen (okay, she's not a terrible author, I'm just not a fan), Twilight and a couple other things. If that's the sort of stuff you always read, it will be incredibly difficult to recognize that it isn't exactly top notch stuff. I could go on for days about bad plots and poor character development, but I'll spare you the trauma. Just... read everything.

The fabulous Mrs. Zeanah , who taught me English sophomore year and Creative Writing junior year and deserves an entire video of her own, once told us that the hardest part of being a writer is writing. And she's absolutely correct. But it isn't going to write itself. So my only advice for that is to glue yourself to a comfortable chair, grab a notebook or your laptop and write until you can't feel your fingers. Ignore the internet, TV, even food if you have to (make sure you don't starve, though, that's no fun). Keep writing until you have something your proud of, and then attempt to outdo yourself. You've got this.

Nooooow, I want all of you to listen to No Light, No Light or I will never post ever again. This is a very serious message. And a very serious picture of me and Kelsey before a party. I had a laughing problem and she disapproved.

No comments:

Post a Comment