Friday, January 20, 2012

Recent adventures.


I have decided to take a temporary hiatus from Tumblr, so I can experiment with what it'll be like when I actually delete that blog for good, and have some time to get work done.

Recently, I've completed the first part of the second book. I changed its working title to The Detained. But then again, I re-titled The Decoder probably twelve times before I deciding on the final one. As it is right now, all disconnected and rambling, The Detained is 61 pages long, which is half the length of the most recent draft of The Decoder. It's inevitable for the sequel to be longer, but I'm a little concerned that it will totally overshadow the first book in length, as this isn't even the halfway point. 

The Decoder is undergoing another bit of work, but it's coming along. My Tumblr hiatus only started last night, so the amount of work done in the five days I'm away from the site will be a dramatic increase from normal. I'm kind of excited. Isn't that weird? I'm freaking out over writing and rewriting hundreds of pages. The English department is definitely the place for me.

Speaking of college, I am considering adding another concentration to my degree. A double major in English and Film would be a dream. After I survive this semester, I'll decide on whether or not giving myself more work is the right thing. 

But for the upcoming week, I have a lot in store. Aside from schoolwork, I have sorority things to take care of, Harry Potter Club duties to perform and writing to get done. It's certainly the time to think about deleting Tumblr and focusing on working. There's a lot that I want to do with my life, and none of it is going to get done if I'm wasting my time on the internet. 

Need some good writing music?
A Thousand Years -- Christina Perry (judge me, but I am in love with that song.)

Vivian and I had an editing/writing party, and I destroyed her computer battery about ten minutes after finding the webcam.

2 comments:

  1. In my experience, by the time you get to the end of the second book, you'll have thought of a whole bunch of story lines and ideas that needed to be signalled in the first book. Don't worry that the first book doesn't seem so long now, it will be a lot bigger by the time you've finished the second one. (not to mention the third!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're completely right; I've got at least ten small story points that should have been foreshadowed in The Decoder but weren't, or I hadn't even considered until a couple of days ago. It kind of makes me glad I was so eager to begin The Detained because it's showing me just how much I glossed over.

      Delete